Ancient castles protected by massive walls, fortresses and ramparts round towered fortresses everywhere from manning the lands of Ottavio Farnese, Duke of Parma and Piacenza, who reigns magnificent under the auspices of peace and victory.
Colorno – castle of Parma until the 12th century. It was under the dominion of the Farnese and the Borbone that the Palace reached its peak and became so wondrous that it was renamed the little Versailles.
Fontanellato – the oldest part of the fortress dates back to the 13th century and is attributed to the founder of the noble family of Parma that for five centuries has withstood the tide: the Sanvitale. The castle includes the extraordinary cycle of frescoes by Parmigianino
San Secondo – powerful and massive fortress, established in 1385 by Beltrando Rossi, soon turned itself in an opulent residence becoming the most significant emblem of artistic refinement
Soragna – built around 1361 in the lands that belonged to the Pallavicini, in 1536 the castle took on its present appearance of sumptuous residence under the family of Meli Lupi who obtained the official investiture of princes of Soragna.
Felino – the ancient manor of Felino dominates the valley between the rivers Baganza and Parma. Due tof its strategic location, the castle, founded in1140, was in the middle of many territorial disputes. The prisons and the torture chambers, still visitable, represent the striking witness to the long period of feudal struggles.
Montechiarugolo –the origins of the fortress that dominates the valley of the river Enza are doubtful, it was probably founded in the 13th century by Ugo Sanvitale and immediately disputed by the city of Parma and from Guidanselmi for its strategic position of primaryimportance. It belonged to the Sanvitale until 1313 when it was destroyed for the first time. Rebuilt by the dukes of Milan and again attacked by Este, Visconti and other powerful feudatories, it finally passed to the Torelli family in the 16th century.
Torrechiara – famous masterpiece of military architecture of all time, the castle surrounded by a triple circle of walls and topped with four corner towers was built by Pier Maria Rossi in 1448, as a token of love for his young lover Bianca Pellegrini.
Bardi – it seems to rise miraculously from the spurs of the fortress of red jasper bards and the other of his mighty buttresses dominates the ancient village and the valleys of the Ceno and Renovated. Withstood the assaults Pallavicini, defended the Ghibelline fortunes in the war with Guelfi of Piacenza and got acquainted with the pomp and splendour of the lordship of Landi, who in 500 choosed to soften the castle making elegant frescoed apartments, gardens, fountains and a large library.
Compiano – built before the year 1000, stands on a ridge of the Apennines, along the valley of the river Taro, in a strategic position that made it the subject of disputes and wars between the powerful families of ancient “Lombardia”. After having passed under the dominion of the Malaspina, the municipality of Piacenza and Landi, passed to the Farnese family who bought it for 121 thousand ducats.
Rocca D’olgisio – embedded in the rock and surrounded by six distinct orders of walls, bearing witness to a past rich in sieges and feudal conflicts, this is one of the oldest and most impressive fortresses of the lands around Piacenza
Agazzano – during the feudal period Agazzano was the small capital of the Scotti family who, on the ruins of a mighty medieval fortress, built in 1475 an elegant mansion
La Bastardina – located inside a park which now houses a prestigious golf course, the fortress had belonged to Scotti and Anguissola
Rivalta – arose on the banks of the river Trebbia in 1048, has belonged to the Landi since 300 that a century later transformed the fortress into a sumptuous residence
Paderna – this ancient castle was probably founded in 1028, assumed in the fifteenth century the current appearance of fortified house that encloses within a wide farmyard
Gropparello – in the green hills of Piacenza relives the magic of the middle ages within the walls of the castle of Gropparello, ancient castle whose origins date back to the 8th century, which stands overlooking the ravine of extraordinary beauty.
Castelnuovo Fogliani – architect of the Palace of Caserta, Vanvitelli restored the Castle owned by the Sforza-Fagliani family transforming this old fortress, whose origins date back to the 12th century, in an elegant neoclassical villa.
San Pietro in Cerro – in 1491, probably on the ruins of an ancient fortress belonged perhaps to Pallavicino, Bartolomeo Grafters had built the castle.
Vigoleno – nestled in the countryside near Piacenza, is one of the most picturesque villages of the area. The ancient castle’s walls still with ghibelline battlements encloses the village dominated by a massive Square Tower.